Thursday, March 24, 2011

Apple Sales May Be Affected by Current Events in Japan

Miguel Helft article Some Worry That Success of Apple is Tied to Japan From the New York Times link discusses how the recent tragedies in Japan are affecting the stock market, more specifically Apple Sales. The recent occurrences in Japan have understandably halted most, if not all, factory production for numerous companies in the country including Apple and many car brands.

The release of Apples new IPad 2 coincided with the horrific tsunami in Japan and as of now the demand for the IPad is significantly high while production remains in short supply. While it is still uncertain if the Apples shortage on the product is related to Japan’s current events, it is quite a possibility. Helft states in the article that “Apple’s supply chain in Japan will not affect finished products for weeks” but that “some investors fear that Apple’s challenges in meeting demand for a product like the iPad 2 will simply get worse in the months to come as some critical components are delayed.

For now, Apple solution seems to be to restock stores with the product in small amounts. For instance, in New York’s meatpacking district only the first 20 people were able to buy an iPad and in another Apple store at the Mall of America in Minneapolis only 6 were allowed to be sold.

We’ll have to wait and see how long this solution will last.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/23/technology/23apple.html?_r=1&ref=technology

1 comment:

  1. Who knew that this horrific disaster Apple I-pad 2 sales. When I was reading this article, the thing that came up was why should i care with Apple stocks fell because the Japanese Tsunam. The story should be out Japan and not Apple product sales. This a perfect example of how our society bows to technology. Many people think that the I-Pad 2 is best thing since bread. I understand that the company has business in Japan but gosh man they are still recovering from a disaster. I am just disappointed in Apple about this situation because instead worrying about I-Pad 2 sales in American they should be fundraising for the Japanese relief effort. If they want their I-Pad 2’s so bad I suggest that all the sales from that gift go to Japan. That is my two cents on the article.

    ReplyDelete