Friday, May 13, 2011
Interesting Readings/Concepts
After reviewing some of the readings we were assigned this semester I think that I especially enjoyed/appreciated the readings on facebook and creating your own identities online. So with that said, I found the concepts like uses and gratification, process gratification, and content gratification. These readings stood out from the rest, for me, simply because I use facebook all of the time and consider myself to be Internet savy. I think at the back of my mind, I always knew that I posted certain pictures and comments for particular reasons but to have the reading really point what I was doing out to me and define it was very interesting (I hope that made sense). I guess, it was interesting to see that there was even a communication concept for what I was doing, because I had no idea that it was that big of a deal. These readings also made me become more aware of how I was representing myself on and off line and how others were portraying themselves as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey She's So Unusual,
ReplyDeleteI absolutely agree with you on the interesting and easily applicable nature of the Facebook and social media-related articles (SNS). The idea of creating one's identity and presenting it online through various posts, pictures, comments, status updates, tweets, blogs....it's fascinating! It's almost like one's reputation can truly be harnessed and controlled through social media sites like Facebook. Personally, I had never thought of this facet of Facebook before -namely that it can be used as a tool for self-presentation and construction of identity. My "e-presence" was wack, at best. Since these readings, however, I feel I've been able to get a grasp on this elusive idea, and take control of my online identity, so to speak.