One term discussed in “Technology and the Society” that caught my eye is technological determinism, which is the theory that societies technology drives the development of its social structure and cultural values. From what I have seen and experienced so far, I find this theory to be quite true. I remember being just a kid in the 90s when Ellen Degeneres first came out as gay on her television show “Ellen”. I also remember the big “hoopla” that occurred because of it. Now fast forward 10 or so years into the new millennium and topics like “coming out” or gay relationships really aren’t that big of a deal anymore. It’s almost becoming as normal as a heterosexual relationship being portrayed on television (as it should be). I can name you at least three cable television shows that now have both gay characters and gay subject matter, and I think that by portraying these topics and characters on mainstream television we are in fact affecting our societies structure as well as cultural values. Kid’s growing up today are learning that being gay is okay by seeing it on TV. I guess in this case, it wasn’t necessarily the new technology that brought on this social change but the subject matter brought through our Television screens.
Another social change that I can think of that was and continues to be brought on by new technologies is our new sense of openness and our needs for immediacy when it comes to what we say and share on social networking sites and how long it takes to send out and receive messages. Just from reflecting on how much our society has changed and grown in the past 10 years from these technological advances makes me wonder what new changes are to come in the future.
As stated in the introduction of this article: “It is often said that television has altered our world.” And in fact, it has.
I certainly agree that technology drives development of the social structure. We are so dependent upon electronic and digital forms of communication that we are so far removed from the way of life even ten years ago, let alone fifty or 100. I don't know how I would survive without texting or Facebook, and these were forms of communication not even in existence 10 years ago. Push back even further and there is a such a divide in how societies communicate that you would be pressed to even call them the same culture. All in all, good article and interesting insight.
ReplyDelete