Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Personal Dynamic Media

Through Alan Kay and Adele Goldberg’s essay “Personal Dynamic Media” I learned that the idea of today’s standard notebook/laptop was brought on by the desire to make computers more useful and available to everyday people of all ages. I also found it quite surprising that this idea was being formulated in as early as the 1970’s.

“Personal Dynamic Media” discusses the Dynabook which was basically the beginnings of a laptop. The Dynabooks goal was to be able to meet all and any needs of it’s user from storing files, to reading books, and even making art and music. By reading the article I learned that the Dynabook was successful in achieving these great ambitions. The notebook had an animation program called SHAZAM as well as a music program called TWANG. The Dynabook was also able to store and manipulate files and information, and read books.

I found this read to be incredibly interesting, especially since the essay included many pictures. While reading the article I couldn’t help but notice how the Dynabooks programs like SHAZAM and TWANG are very similar to programs we have today like Microsofts Paint and Apple’s GarageBand. I was amazed at how far we have come in technology in just 30 or so years. I loved seeing the beginnings of what is now a laptop and how it has progressed so much.

4 comments:

  1. I was surprised that the idea of a laptop began much earlier on as well. I thought of it more as an iPad but still. Yesterday my classmate told me about Fry's new release of some type of Acer netbook where the keyboard was touch screen. He described it as a larger sized DS. That is proof of how advanced things are getting and it's really a question of "how necessary is that?" The other question is also "What's next?" It's interesting how the brands of computers may be different but the programs used on them are quite similar. They may be compatible to a particular label but they function the same way. For example, Apple has Final Cut Express/Pro and iMovie whereas Microsoft/PC has Adobe Premiere and Windows Moviemaker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found it interesting that the basis for the programs we use on our computers go back to the ‘70s, if not earlier. Makes me wonder what they are currently coming up with in Research & Development labs around the world! Who knows what kinds of new technology we may see in our lifetime. Every few years or so, there is always the “new big thing” in personal technological devices. In my lifetime I witnessed the advent of the laptop, the cell phone, portable gaming devices, the Internet, smartphones, and tablet PCs (currently the newest popular product). What’s next? Something tells me I’ll be seeing some form of non-medical technological human augmentation in my lifetime. Bluetooth headset implants, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to agree with you that this essay is interesting because I learned about the Dynabook. I didn’t know a lot about the history of computer but it was interesting to know that it was started in the early 1970’s. I like it how you mention about notebook had an animation program called SHAZAM as well as a music program called TWANG. It was interesting when you mention the Dynabooks programs like SHAZAM and TWANG are very similar to programs we have today like Microsofts Paint and Apple’s GarageBand. I have never thought about it when I was reading this essay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to agree with you that this essay is interesting because I learned about the Dynabook. I didn’t know a lot about the history of computer but it was interesting to know that it was started in the early 1970’s. I like it how you mention about notebook had an animation program called SHAZAM as well as a music program called TWANG. It was interesting when you mention the Dynabooks programs like SHAZAM and TWANG are very similar to programs we have today like Microsofts Paint and Apple’s GarageBand. I have never thought about it when I was reading this essay.

    ReplyDelete