When I first began reading the article I thought that this was a great way to utilize the Internet. I thought, “Thanks to community media like blogging this ill little girl and her family are able to reach out and inspire thousands across the world while at the same time receive support in return”. And then I came to find out that it was a hoax. I wasn’t just surprised, I was disturbed. I mean we all know about liars, but this?
One quote that stood at for me came at the beginning of the article: “The Internet did not create grifters… If anything, the net has just changed the dynamics of the game” (p.200). After reading that I thought about the final paper I did for this class. My topic was community media (specifically blogging) and how community media allows any individual to basically create, share, or follow whatever content they so choose on the Internet without the constraints of web publishing. The Internet really has changed the game, we now face the job of deciphering what to believe not only off line but over the web as well.
This article also reminded me of our first few reading for this class on how SNS and new media allows us to create our own identities. One idea that the article touched on that I found especially interesting is how people are able to “authenticate” these false identities and realities online through web links, pictures, and other web-friendly signals. The article stated, “A conventional signal can be given the appearance of an assessment signal by faking the appropriate signifiers and the malleablility of signifiers in a digital environment like the web makes it difficult to establish one signifier as more authentic”.
The Internet makes it easier to lie, doesn’t it?
I couldn’t agree with you more about how the internet allows you to lie. The sad thing is that people actually believe in half the BS that is put on the internet. I can see the internet as being a medium for communication and getting a message across, but to make up total lies? I was a bit disturbed after reading this article as well. Have we really sunk so low to gain a bit of attention by making up a story about a dying girl of leukemia? Honestly, what was Debbie trying to get out of all of it? This was simply an eye opener to the meaning that we shouldn’t always believe in what people say.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with your initial reaction, that is such an awesome way to foster community and allow even strangers to encourage the girl as she faces a deadly struggle on a daily basis. I liked how you ended your post by tying it into identity from earlier in the course. That is so true, and I hadn't thought of it like that. The article did make a good point about how people can "authenticate" identities by using the internet creatively. Personally, after reading this article I was disturbed too, not only because of how pathetic it is that some lady did that, but that people can stil do it now. It's definitely crazy.
ReplyDelete