Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The End of Books

I really enjoyed and appreciated that Robert Coover’s “The End of Books” was fairly short and very to the point. It made for an easy and interesting read. This chapter focused on the concept of hypertext, which is term coined by populist Ted Nelson over a century ago used to describe the writing done in the nonlinear or nonsequential space made possible by the computer.

Prior to reading “The End of Books” I was pretty familiar with the concept of both reading and writing works through cyberspace and by using technology. But through the reading I learned the exact term for the concept. I also learned that unlike print text hypertext provides multiple paths between text segments now often called “lexias”, hypertext presents a radically divergent technology that is both interactive and polyvocal and lastly, I learned that hypertext frees the reader from domination of the author and that the reader and writer are said to become both co-learners and co-writers.

One thing that I found incredibly interesting is how hypertexts uses such things like the change in font size or style to represent a change in character or mood/attitude in writings. I myself enjoy writing fiction and use this as a tool as well. I also found it interesting how writers and non-fiction writers in general are now able to self publish their own works online through such sites as Intermedia.

2 comments:

  1. She's so unusual,

    I also found it interesting how a change in emotion, mood, or attitude can be expressed through font size and style. I am very familiar with this as I think most of us are. Along with showing emotion through font size and style, we have created our own internet language in which we use when communicating through hypertext. The only problem I have with all of this is the miscommunication or misunderstanding it can cause if someone isn't familiar with that expression of emotion. It is hard to read sometimes what people mean when it is through text instead of verbally, and it can definitely cause some serious issues within relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi She's So Unusual,

    This is great. I think the capabilities of hypertext versus printed text are revolutionary. The idea of font changes being used to dictate different voices and characters in a story is interesting to imagine -as is the possibilities of video incorporation. Certainly, hypertext is the future of literary enjoyment and experience.

    My question is: when will concepts like this truly be incorporated into mobile devices like the Kindle? Either way, the internet certainly has changed the way literature is written and expressed, as noted in sites like Intermedia. The limits initially put on authors self-publishing their on works are now lifted. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete